Bits and Pieces

Saturday, April 24, 2004

Burnout

James Lileks had a mini-burnout this week, and talks about how he's going through one of those 'do I really want to blog' moments.

It's strange how you get used to visiting certain sites. I still read many blogs that are frankly awful, just because they were the first ones I found when I first got online. In the year since I started blogging I've built up a large number of daily reads, among them Glenn, Kevin, Dean, James and Frank J, along with at least two dozen others. These sites you read as soon as you log on, before you take a sip of coffee; before you check your e-mail. You could type the URL's with your eyes closed. You could type them in your sleep. The idea that these guys could suddenly get tired of blogging and pack it in actually worries me. I know that sounds stupid, but it's true. I wouldn't know what to do when I'm online. I'd probably end up just checking and re-checking my e-mail all day, staring blankly at the screen.

Whenever a favourite writer hints that they may be burning out I get a feeling I know well. It's the same feeling you get when you want to keep partying but your friends are ready to hail a cab.

Lileks ends his article by saying that he needs to 'decide whether or not I want to continue doing this forever'

Just so you know: the answer is "yes".

Good.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider