Bits and Pieces

Saturday, February 28, 2004

Got To Buy Some Bins

I just got back from an eye test, and the news ain't good. I haven't had a test since the first week of July 2002, so I'm long overdue.

I started wearing glasses at the age of 13, and hated every second of it for 3 years until I was allowed to wear contacts. I've happily worn lenses for ever since, moving from gas permeable to daily disposable (as a result of an ex-girlfiriend throwing a garlic clove in my eye and breaking a gas permeable lens).

Unfortunately my job requires me to stare at a screen for 8 hours a day, and a lot of my off-time is spent in front of a PC too (sad, no?). As a result of putting the lenses in at 6:30am, staring at a screen for 8 hours in an office with bad air-con, and then taking the lenses out at midnight to get a few hours sleep, my eyes have been starved of oxygen. On examining my eyes the first thing the optician said was 'Jesus!'. It doesn't get much worse than that.

Anyway, I have been told that I shouldn't wear the lenses any more, and must buy a pair of specs. I'm not dreading this as much as I expected. There have been considerable leaps forward in spectacle design since I wore them as a teen. Most of all, I am forced to accept that the way I use lenses will ultimately cause permanent damage. As my greatest fear is blindness, I have no choice but to see this as an opportunity. After all, 'There's none so blind as they that won't see'.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider