Bits and Pieces

Thursday, February 26, 2004

I Wish I Was in America

You want to know why? No? Well, you've got a smart mouth mister.

Here's why. Sex and the City is over in the US, but there are still a few painful episodes to endure here in the UK. Now I don't want you to get the idea that I actually watch it, but my 16 year old sister insists on watching it whenever I'm around. After about 4 years of hell it is almost over.

I have no real problem with the show. I can choose to ignore it if I wish. What worries me is that these 4 absolutely repellent women are idolised by millions of teens and young women, including my younger sister. These women embody all that is nasty and base about feminism. Samantha, an aging slut, managed to crowbar the word 'fuck' into every sentence, regardless of whether it was necessary (or even gramatically correct). Cindy Chupack, writer and executive producer of the show, said

"I think it was very liberating to hear women using the language that was previously reserved for men's locker rooms -- Samantha more so than the other characters."

Why is it 'liberating' to show women swearing excessively on primetime TV? Why is it desirable to make young women think it's cool and clever to swear? Us guys have already lost the fight. Can't we save the women from Tourettes style profanity?

Even worse than the constant stream of profanity was the attitude to sex. Every week each character seemed to meet a new guy (or two), take him home on the first date and fuck him 'til sunrise, dump him for some ridiculously small fault, and then go and laugh about it with their friends. My sister watches this show! I don't want her to get the idea that that's the way she should act. I know I should credit her with more intelligence than that, but to be honest I'm not sure I can. TV has a hypnotic influence over people (especially teens), and sometimes the brain is by-passed.

Anyway, I look forward to the last episode so I can wave goodbye to this god-awful program. Hopefully my sister can then go back to watching dull, wholesome programming like, er, Will and Grace.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider