Bits and Pieces

Monday, March 29, 2004

Where are my readers?

My name is Keith Taylor, and I am addicted to statistics.

Phew. It's good to get that off my chest. I've been holding it in for so long.

I've been blogging now for a little over a year, and not a day goes by that I don't rush to my PC as soon as I can to see how many people have visited, and where they came from.

An odd trend struck me the other day. As some of you know, I stopped blogging for a long break last year, and left the site in its old location to fester and rot. I picked it back up, brushed off the dust and moved house to Blogger at the start of February, and have not looked back since. The ease of use of Blogger has made me appreciate blogging in a new light.

Anyway, since I started blogging again I have seen my readership dwindle alarmingly. At some points in November and December of last year I was getting upwards of 150 visitors a day, which I could consider a success. At present I average about 25, which is definitely not. It amazes me that so many chose to read a blog that clearly had been abandoned, and then fled as soon as I started to write again. My prose isn't that painful to read is it?

A lot of this can be attributed to the fact that I changed the domain name and lost a few links as a result. I think, however, that most of my previous traffic was due to the fact that the domain name worldwarbush.com attracted a certain type of reader who was interested in nothing more than cheap Bush jokes and mockery, while the discussion of news and politics tends to attract a more discerning, if more elusive, audience.

Unfortunately this is my lot in life. I must accept that I will not be read by as many when I don't ridicule Bush, in the same way that the broadsheets must accept that they will never draw the same crowd as the National Inquirer.

Still, it sucks.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider