Bits and Pieces

Monday, December 20, 2004

Risky Business

I just sent an email to the HR manager at my old employer, turning down their offer of 3 days pay as compensation for unfair dismissal. At the time I was quite pleased with myself that they caved and admitted liability, but then I got myself worked up over the weekend.

See, they're offering 3 days pay because I'd already handed in my notice - and only had 3 days left to run when they fired me. That only amounts to £160 (about $310). I've been unable to find any sort of decent work above minimum wage, and part of that must have been due to the fact that I had to admit I got fired every time I have an interview. I'm a leper. I might as well have walked in with a bell around my neck.

Anyway, I got pissed off by it. I gave ACAS a call and asked what they thought, and they said that if I took it to a tribunal I'd get at least one week's pay and compensation for the time I've been out of work. I really don't want the hassle of a tribunal - and the expense of retaining a lawyer - so I emailed work and said I'd settle for £350 ($680). It isn't a huge amount, but it's a week's wage and $150 compensation for my trouble. It seems reasonable to me. Let's see if they agree.

Related posts

VICTORY!
It's Blackmail, Stupid
Jack of All Trades... Master of Two or Three
Livin' on the Breadline
Drunk Blogging (Updated)
You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry
Comes in Threes
I got fired today. Shit.

Hey, d'ya think I talk about this too much?

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider