Bits and Pieces

Thursday, February 12, 2004

The West Wing - Greatest Ever TV Show

Now I realise that I kind of missed the boat with the whole West Wing thing. After all, Aaron Sorkin has been pumping out episodes since the end of the century.

However, here in my home town in the depths of Northern England, the show finally reached my eyes, ears and - dare I say it? - brain only a few short months ago. For years my friends and workmates harped on about it, but their words fell on deaf ears. Until, that is, a few months back. With little to do and nothing better to watch I decided to give it a try. I was amazed.

I realised that this is the White House as I wish it was. Jed Bartlet as the wise old President, flawed but honourable; Leo McGarry as his right hand pitbull; Josh Lyman, Toby Zeigler and Sam Seaborne as the backup. Sure, they're not perfect, what with their alcoholism, MS and proclivity for sleeping with call girls, but they have our best interests at heart, dammit! Allow them these eccentricities.

It goes without saying, of course, that I rushed out and spent the best part of my wages on the DVD's of the first and second series (worth every penny and then some, I might add). And thus I spent the next two weeks sitting in bed after work, laptop resting on the duvet, hungrily soaking up the storylines. I now eagerly await the third series (already pre-ordered on Amazon).

Unfortunately, my discovery of the show has only served to remind me how bad the current administrations are (both in the US and closer to home). The people I see in power do not seem to me to have our best interests at heart. Their only aim seems to be to make their mark in the history books and their bank accounts. I know I'm a cynical old fool, and am probably way off the mark, but I can't help it.

Can't wait to get home. I still have a few episodes to watch.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider