Bits and Pieces

Friday, March 25, 2005

In the Navy

OK, 5 more minutes and then I'm giving up and going to bed. It's getting light outside and I have to get my beauty sleep in time for a party tonight (trust me, I need it. I'll have bags under my eyes the size of footballs).

I went to a gig last night at a local club, and saw a friend of my brother's. This guy has been in the Navy for about 5 years now, and he's having the time of his life and earning crazy money. He started at the bottom with no qualifications and worked his way up. Now he's working on something very secret several storeys below the streets of London, and he's on an intensive 2 year course in Arabic languages.

Now, as some of you long-termers will know, I applied to the Officer Corps early last year, but didn't follow through for various reasons. Every time I see this guy he goes on at me to finally join, but I'm in two minds. On the one hand I'm a graduate, so I'd go straight in as a 'Rupert' in the Officer Corps. On the other hand, I suspect I'm too much of a layabout to make such a life-altering decision. I have a tendency to coast - a tendency that's landed me with a job I really enjoy but with a laughable salary, not even enough to keep my car roadworthy and keep up with the bills. If I pulled my finger out and joined up I could wave goodbye to all my financial worries and actually do something productive with my life.

What I'd like is some advice from any of you in the forces - preferably Royal Navy but any advice from other branches from whatever country would be welcome. What's the life like? Is it worth committing myself for the rest of my 20's? How did your life changed after you joined the forces?

OK, I'm out. It's bedtime. Night all. Well, morning I suppose. Except for you guys in the US, where it's still night. I'm confused. Leave me alone.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider