Bits and Pieces

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Using an Online Math Tutor

Throughout my school years my parents would never shut up about my English skills.  Spelling, punctuation, grammar... they'd go on and on and on about the fact that I never found any aspect of the English language a challenge.  It was just easy for me.  The rules seemed easy to understand; simple and intuitive. 

If only the same could be said for math.  No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't get my head around mathematics.  Basic stuff like addition, subtraction and simple multiplication was easy enough, but once we drifted out of the comfortable shallows I quickly got out of my depth.  I could never understand algebra, calculus, or even such a basic concept as 'carrying the one'.  In short, I sucked. 

I never really got better, either.  Even today I usually have my calculator app open on my laptop and iPhone for simple sums.  I rely on the calculator, and these days I just don't bother to do math at all.  

My New Year's resolution for 2012 is to change that.  This year I'm gonna use an online math tutor to wean me off my reliance on the calculator.  I'll never bother to learn algebra (even school kids can tell they'll probably never have any real world use for it), but I'm definitely gonna get a good grasp on basic math.  Wish me luck, people.  

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider