Bits and Pieces

Saturday, December 11, 2004

On Spirit of America

This from Grim's Hall (via Instapundit - I seem to be reading nothing but Insty links today. Maybe I'm coming down with something. Is a temperature of 115 degrees bad?).

Anyway, this tickled me:-

I had never heard of the Cosmos Club... Emailed invitations are particularly informal; this one came from a US Marine, for a time after business hours; and it was at a place called a "club." So, naturally I assumed it was a bar of some sort.

It happened that I had another engagement in town that required semiformal dress, so I figured I'd take a bit of ribbing. Still, I had no way to change, so I planned to go in my suit. It's charcoal grey, in a traditional cut. I wore it with my black Ariat boots, my black Stetson hat, and a bolo tie.

After a few minutes, a gentleman came up to me and shook my hand. He introduced himself as LtCol Couvillon, United States Marines, and former military governor of Wasit province. "I had to shake the hand of any man," he said, "who could get in here wearing cowboy boots and a bolo tie."

You should, of course, read the whole thing and have a roam around the site if you've never come across it before. I'm new to Grim's Hall, and I'm gonna go back now and read some more.

P.S. There's also a reminder - several in fact - to donate to Grim's team at the essential Spirit of America. Do it, or I'll give you such a stabbing. Semper fi, Grim.

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider