Bits and Pieces

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Replacing Lost Watches

One of the most annoying things about travelling is the fact that, no matter how careful you may be, eventually you'll lose something of value.  In the last two years I've managed to leave an expensive leather jacket in a hotel closet in the middle of India, an expensive pair of sunglasses in a cab in Bangkok and about half my wardrobe in an apartment in Ulaanbaatar.  When you're trying to live cheap it can be frustrating to have to pay to replace all of this stuff.

Right now we're in Hong Kong visiting a good friend of ours, and thankfully he has a spare room for us (Hong Kong hotels are tiny and ridiculously expensive).  When we arrived a few days ago on the train from Beijing I dumped my bags on the floor, did my usual equipment check and noticed that I seem to have lost my watch somewhere along the way.  I suspect I left it hanging on a hook in the bathroom of the train.  I remember putting it there while I washed in the morning.

Men's watches can be damned expensive to replace, so I was pretty pissed off to say the least.  Watches, fortunately, sell pretty cheap in Hong Kong, so I was able to pick up a replacement for less than $30 (nice watch, too).  Still, I'd be much happier if I could just get over my habit of losing things whenever we move to a new city.  Money is tight right now, and I can't really afford to replace another lost item.  

website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider