You May Say I'm a Dreamer
I'd forgotten today was the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination. Here's my favourite post on the subject.
9 most frequently given red state answers to the question, "where were you when you found out John Lennon had been shot to death, Dec 8 1980?"
- "In bed watching the teevee."
- "Home watching the teevee."
- "I dunno, was it a Friday night? Because if it was a Friday night, that's my bowling night. So I was most likely bowling. Or waiting to bowl."
- "Two words: Urban Cowboy."
- "Who cares? Let the communist rot- him and Stalin both."
- "Klan rally. Because white Americans have rights, too."
- "In my cousin's room, in bed, smoking a cigarette and watching the teevee."
- (T) "Molly Hatchet concert" / "Lynyrd Skynyrd concert"
If you enjoyed that, go read Protein Wisdom. That Jeff fella uses funnier words in a more amusing order than I do.
On a slightly more reverential note, I always had a lot of respect for Lennon. While he was dying on the streets of New York I was in the womb, so I wasn't a fan of the Beatles or Lennon as a solo artist until about a decade later. In a way I'm glad I wasn't around when he was alive, because I probably would have pegged him as a bt of a gratingly naive peacenik. As it happens, I only know him through his music, and that's the way I like it.
So, patchouli smelling hippy he may have been... but Jealous Guy is still a kick ass song.