Bits and Pieces

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

You May Say I'm a Dreamer

I'd forgotten today was the anniversary of John Lennon's assassination. Here's my favourite post on the subject.

9 most frequently given red state answers to the question, "where were you when you found out John Lennon had been shot to death, Dec 8 1980?"

  1. "In bed watching the teevee."
  2. "Home watching the teevee."
  3. "I dunno, was it a Friday night? Because if it was a Friday night, that's my bowling night. So I was most likely bowling. Or waiting to bowl."
  4. "Two words: Urban Cowboy."
  5. "Who cares? Let the communist rot- him and Stalin both."
  6. "Klan rally. Because white Americans have rights, too."
  7. "In my cousin's room, in bed, smoking a cigarette and watching the teevee."
  8. (T) "Molly Hatchet concert" / "Lynyrd Skynyrd concert"
  9. "Who?"

If you enjoyed that, go read Protein Wisdom. That Jeff fella uses funnier words in a more amusing order than I do.

On a slightly more reverential note, I always had a lot of respect for Lennon. While he was dying on the streets of New York I was in the womb, so I wasn't a fan of the Beatles or Lennon as a solo artist until about a decade later. In a way I'm glad I wasn't around when he was alive, because I probably would have pegged him as a bt of a gratingly naive peacenik. As it happens, I only know him through his music, and that's the way I like it.

So, patchouli smelling hippy he may have been... but Jealous Guy is still a kick ass song.

For slightly more in depth comments - and my that, I mean posts that are sensibly written and have some sort of point - see Michele and Gerard.


website-hit-counters.com
powered by web hosting provider